Dr Laksh Ayaru
BSc MBBS(Hons) PhD FRCP
Consultant Gastroenterologist & Advanced Endoscopist
Clinical background and expertise
Dr Laksh Ayaru has been a Consultant Gastroenterologist and Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust (Charing Cross and Hammersmith Hospitals) and Imperial College London respectively since his appointment in 2010. He is an expert therapeutic endoscopist and a nationally accredited colonoscopist on the bowel cancer screening programme.
He qualified from Guys and St Thomas’s medical school with distinction in 1995 and trained in gastroenterology mainly at University College and the Royal Free Hospitals. He completed a prestigious training fellowship from 2008-2009 in advanced endoscopy with The Advanced Therapeutic Endoscopy Group, headed by Professor Marcon at St Michaels Hospital, Toronto which is a World Endoscopy Organisation (WEO) centre of excellence.
Dr Ayaru has major research interests in the development of novel diagnostic tests and therapies for pancreaticobiliary malignancy and gastrointestinal bleeding. His research training was with the NIH funded hepatopancreaticobiliary dysplasia and malignancy group headed by Dr S Pereira at The Institute of Hepatology, UCL and the CRUK Chromosomal Replication Group based at The Wolfson Institute for Biomedical Research, UCL led by Professor G Williams. He was awarded a PhD in Medicine from UCL in 2007 which was rated as outstanding. Notable achievements include development of a novel diagnostic test for pancreaticobiliary cancer which detects the DNA replication licensing factor Mcm 5 in biliary cytology specimens. This exciting discovery has led to a major grant award from the MRC to validate this test in high-risk groups which is ongoing. To develop immunotherapy for pancreatic cancer Dr Ayaru has ongoing projects analysing and manipulating tumour specific T cells against this malignancy.
- Thomas T; Ayaru L; Lee EY; Cirocco M; Kandel G; May G; Kortan P; Marcon NE. (Nov 2011). Length of Barrett's segment predicts success of extensive endomucosal resection for eradication of Barrett's esophagus with early neoplasia. Surg Endosc. 25:3627-3635. DOI.
- Chan JCH; Ayaru L. (2011). Analysis of risk scoring for the outpatient management of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Frontline Gastroenterology. 2:19-25.
- Matull WR; Dhar DK; Ayaru L; Sandanayake NS; Chapman MH; Dias A; Bridgewater J; Webster GJ; et al. (Jan 2011). R0 but not R1/R2 resection is associated with better survival than palliative photodynamic therapy in biliary tract cancer. Liver Int. 31:99-107. DOI.
- Pereira SP; Ayaru L; Ackroyd R; Mitton D; Fullarton G; Zammit M; Grzebieniak Z; Messmann H; et al. (Sep 2010).The pharmacokinetics and safety of porfimer after repeated administration 30-45 days apart to patients undergoing photodynamic therapy. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 32:821-827. DOI.
- Ayaru L; Stoeber K; Webster GJ; Hatfield AR; Wollenschlaeger A; Okoturo O; Rashid M; Williams G; et al. (6 May 2008). Diagnosis of pancreaticobiliary malignancy by detection of minichromosome maintenance protein 5 in bile aspirates. Br J Cancer. 98:1548-1554. DOI.
- Alisa A; Boswell S; Pathan AA; Ayaru L; Williams R; Behboudi S. (1 Apr 2008). Human CD4(+) T cells recognize an epitope within alpha-fetoprotein sequence and develop into TGF-beta-producing CD4(+) T cells. J Immunol. 180:5109-5117.
- Ayaru L; Kurzawinski TR; Shankar A; Webster GJ; Hatfield AR; Pereira SP. (Feb 2008). Complications and diagnostic difficulties arising from biliary self-expanding metal stent insertion before definitive histological diagnosis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 23:315-320. DOI.
- Pereira SP; Ayaru L; Rogowska A; Mosse A; Hatfield AR; Bown SG. (Jun 2007). Photodynamic therapy of malignant biliary strictures using meso-tetrahydroxyphenylchlorin. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 19:479-485.DOI.
- Ayaru L; Pereira SP; Alisa A; Pathan AA; Williams R; Davidson B; Burroughs AK; Meyer T; et al. (1 Feb 2007).Unmasking of alpha-fetoprotein-specific CD4(+) T cell responses in hepatocellular carcinoma patients undergoing embolization. J Immunol. 178:1914-1922.
- Ayaru L; Wittmann J; Macrobert AJ; Novelli M; Bown SG; Pereira SP. (2007). Photodynamic therapy using verteporfin photosensitization in the pancreas and surrounding tissues in the Syrian golden hamster.Pancreatology. 7:20-27. DOI.
- Ayaru L; Bown SG; Pereira SP. (2005). Photodynamic therapy for pancreatic and biliary tract carcinoma. Int J Gastrointest Cancer. 35:1-13. DOI.
- Dearden JC; Ayaru L; Wong V; van Someren N. (17 Jul 2004). The double duct sign. Lancet. 364:302. DOI.
- Ayaru L; Bown SG; Pereira SP. (2004). Photodynamic therapy for pancreatic cancer-experimental and clinical studies. Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy. 1:145-155.
- Chan J; Ayaru L. Risk scoring for the outpatient management of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding.UEGW, 23 Oct 2010 - 27 Oct 2010. 59:A43-A44. (2010).
- Ayaru L; Stoeber K; Webster GJ; Hatfield ARW; Wollenschlaeger A; Williams G; Pereira SP. Diagnosis of pancreaticobiliary malignancy by detection of minichromosome maintenance protein 5 in biliary brush cytology specimens. 58:A25-A25. (Apr 2009).
- Thomas T; Ayaru L; Lee EY; Cirocco M; Kortan PP; May GR; Kandel G; Marcon N. Extensive Endomucosal Resection (EMR) for Complete Eradication of Barrett's Esophagus (BE) with High-Grade Intraepithelial Neoplasia (HGIN) or Intramucosal Carcinoma (IMC): Efficacy, Safety and Factors Predicting Complete Eradication. 69:AB340-AB340. (Apr 2009).
- Sandanayake NS; Johnson GJ; Smyth CM; Church NI; Ayaru L; Chapman MH; Hatfield AR; Pereira SP; et al.Azathioprine in the management of relapsing autoimmune pancreatitis/IgG4 sclerosing cholangitis.57:A24-A24. (Jan 2008).
- Ayaru L; Stoeber K; George W; Hatfield A; Williams G; Pereira S. Diagnosis of pancreaticobiliary malignancy by detection of minichromosome maintenance 5 protein in bile aspirates. 65:AB210-AB210. (Apr 2007).
- Ayaru L; Stoeber K; Webster GJ; Hatfield AR; Williams GH; Pereira SP. Diagnosis of pancreaticobiliary malignancy by detection of minichromosome maintenance 5 protein in bile aspirates. 56:A14-A14. (Apr 2007).
- Matull WR; Ayaru L; Dias A; Dhar D; Davidson BR; Pereira SP. Prognostic factors in biliary tract carcinoma: Multivariate analysis of 259 patients. 56:A3-A3. (Apr 2007).
- Ayaru L; Pereira SP; Meyer T; Davidson BR; Burroughs AK; Williams R; Behboudi S. Alpha-fetoprotein specific CD4(+) T cell responses are unmasked during transarterial embolisation in hepatocellular carcinoma.55:A24-A24. (Apr 2006).
- Ayaru L; Pereira SP; Meyer T; Davidson BR; Burroughs AK; Williams R; Behboudi S. Alpha-fetoprotein specific CD4+ T cell responses are unmasked during transarterial embolisation in hepatocellular carcinoma.44:S11-S11. (2006).
- Matull WR; Dias A; Ayaru L; Davidson B; Pereira S. Biliary tract cancer: A dual tertiary centre experience in the United Kingdom. 42:379A-379A. (Oct 2005).
- Pereira SP; Ayaru L; Hatfield ARW; Rogowska A; Bown S. Photodynamic therapy (PDT) of malignant biliary strictures using mesotetrahydroxyphenylchlorin (mTHPC). 23:351S-351S. (1 Jun 2005).
- Ayaru L; Russell C; Kurzawinski T; Hatfield A; Pereira S. Complications arising from self-expanding metal bile duct stent insertion before definitive histological diagnosis. 57:AB190-AB190. (Apr 2003).
- Ayaru L; Russell RC; Kurzawinski TR; Hatfield ARW; Pereira SP. Complications arising from self-expanding metal bile duct stent insertion before definitive histological diagnosis. 52:A115-A115. (Apr 2003).